Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Some Wonderful Entertainment and The Land of the Queen!

As little as we have done since we have been here we have still managed to get stuff done. Dan got offered the job as a shift manager at a restaurant chain - the interview he went to the day after we got here - which he is really excited about; and he also managed to get his papers signed.

On top of getting our taxes back we also get to claim our Superannuation fund which is a pension you pay into while working in Australia; the only problem is we had to get heaps of stuff signed. We have to photocopy our passports, work visas, arrival and depature stamps and get it all signed - two copies of each - by a police officer, doctor, pharmacist etc.; like when getting your passport. We had to wait to get to England due to the language barrier in France but the problem in England is that no one will sign the papers for us! The local pharmacist said no because we dont have an account with her so we went to the police station only to be welcomed by a sign on the door that said "this station no longer has counter service." We went to another police station in the next a few days later this time being welcomed by a sign that said "this police station has been moved," though it was only across the street. We waited for half an hour our only entertainment being an irate teenager who was cussing and saying how dumb and stupid the cops were, and a drugged/drunken girl - well really I dont know how old she was as she was bloated with leathery skin, and looked years beyond her acutal age - who I thought was on a cellphone but was actually talking out loud to herself but wanting to involve all the people waiting into her onesided conversation. "I have to sign in because they think I am gonna leave the country. Idiots. I'm not gonna leave" and then the angry words of the teenager "fucking cops they are so stupid" with her replying "now you know how I feel. Haha, they think I am gonna leave, I'm not gonna leave..." It was interesting, though to be quite honest I was more disgusted by the teenager then by her. He was swearing and slammed the front door and his mother just looked at me with a sad smile. "Wow" I thought "I would never speak like that in public, especially at a police station, at his age, my parents would've smacked me silly, even now they would and I'm a married woman. He had no respect and his mother obviously didn't seem to care, she didnt even tell him to calm down...some people I tell ya!

Anyways after our wonderful (pure sarcasm) half our of entertainment we finally got to speak to someone only to be told that the Chief Constable of Dorset does not allow police officers to sign any papers whatsoever; "we can only sign them if we know who you are and that is only under certain circumstances" "well, no offence" I replied "I hope you guys don't know me." He smiled and said "sorry I can't help you." Now what? Well Dan had a doctors appointment today and his doctor is signing them which is great news. Mine? Well I have to go to my Embassy in London and pay over $100 (Canadian) to get them all signed, and I can only go Tuesday or Thursday between 2-4pm. WTF? Lol. It's alright, Dan is getting his signed and when we get some more money in I will be able to get mine done. At least one of us is getting it done, and at least one of us is officially employed :) things are finally looking up.

Tomorrow, it's London for me - though I am not getting my papers signed, it will be Wednesday and Thursday I leave before the signing hours - I am super excited. Unfortunately I won't get to see Kate, plans got changed around but I have a few other friends I have met along my travels. I can't wait. It will be just me and the Land of the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment