Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Travel Tip for the Changing Temperature

With the temperature dropping, our once "tropic" blood is now feeling the chill of the cold.  The days are sunny with blue sky's and a cool chill, that after winter would be an inviting spring day but is now a reminder that winter is just around the corner.  Though some days are warmer than others, some are filled with black clouds and never ending rain (as that what it does in England) teases us by conintually stopping and starting.  Rain or shine, no matter what the days are like the nights are cold.  By 5:30pm, when all the shops are closing their doors at the end of yet another business day, the temperature drops about 10 degrees.  You can smell the crispy, fresh, briskness of a new winter.

It is such a familiar smell; it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside and I almost feel like I am back home for the seconds that the crispy air first hits my nostril's.  I think of the thigh-high snow in the driveway after a big snowfall and how stunningly beautiful everything looks with a fresh blanket of prestine snow covering it.  I stand there sniffing the air like a dog sniffing the air for food.  This revery only last for about 3 seconds and then I realize how much I miss the heat and I am no longer a fan of the colder temperatures. 

We have had to go shoppping as board shorts, sun dresses, flip flops, tank tops and summer pants wont suffice in this weather.  We reallly tried to pull it off as long as possible but wearing a scarf and flip flops really just doesn't make any sense.  My feet are not a big fan of being covered; they have had the freedom of heat, sunshine and flip flops that they have blistered and swelled from being confined to shoes and boots. 

When we were in Darwin,  I actually missed this time of year.  Curling up on the couch with a good movie,  drinking tea/hot chocolate/coffee, under a blanket and being all cozy; where it's cool enough outside to wear a nice light jacket or your favourite hoodie.  It's the time of year where it's not too hot but not too cold.  Well...being in the tropics for as long as I have has completely thinned my blood and my tolerance for cold  and my new hoodie and jacket have lost the novelty, I WANT THE HEAT!!!

 Dan's farts while he sleeps don't even give off enough heat lol.

TRAVEL TIP   - A Change in Climate is a Great Excuse to Go Shopping (Even When On A Budget)
There is a silver lining to all of this though.  I have had an excuse to go shopping!!!  "You went shopping again."  "Yes baby but I got 7 pairs of socks for 2 pound."  "What else is in the bag?"  "A new hoodie,  I only had one and I want to be able to switch it up." "And that?"  "That would be a winter vest.  I only have your sisters denim jacket and it really doesn't do much in this weather."  ..... "Didn't you just go shopping yesterday?"  "Yes, but I really needed a scarf and matching hat."  "Really?  Was it that necessary?"  " Of course baby.  I am Canadian and scarves and hats are a must have in the winter season."  I never get an argument; he knows he won't win.  Though don't think it only works one way, he goes shopping too.  "High-tops baby? Really?  You already have to pairs of trainers."  "Yes but I really want a pair of high-tops"  "Is there any particular reason?" "Yes.  Because I want a pair."  At least I have better reasoning.  He won't let me buy a new purse but he has more shoes and clothes than I do!!! 

Of course we are on a budget and watching what we spend as we are leaving again very soon.  There is always stuff we want - like high-tops and a new purse - but there is also stuff that I want and actually need. 

We all know that when traveling out of a backpack that our wardrobe is very limited and outfits are repeated quite frequently.  Sometimes a few new things to replace some other things you might not wear anymore is always a nice feeling.  Especially in a case like ours.  We came from the tropics, we had aboslutely no winter clothes, we really didn't have a choice.  We do however, shop at the cheaper places to help keep money in our wallets.

What do you do when you head back to the tropics and you have winter clothes?
Well you can:
1.  You can leave behind what you don't want
2.  Give what you don't want to friends
3.  If you can afford to, send a package home.  This way you are not getting rid of precious purchases and, it's a great way to have some "new clothes" when you get home.

Shopping while on a budget can be easy and not debtremental to your budget, just remember to buy more of what you need rather than what you like.  New clothes are a great way to feel fresh and revived, especially when wearing the same things out of a backpack for many conesecutive months.  However, keep in mind that just because you feel good in new clothes it doesn't mean a change in the climate doesn't does the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment